January 10 2011
So for the most part I watch only DVR-ed shows. Apologies if this is technically me-centric. I know everyone has a different situation with the DVRing.
(FYI my top shows are: American Idol, Jersey Shore, Breaking Bad, McLaughlin Group, Jerseylicious, Millionaire Matchmaker, Office, 30 Rock, Letterman, Dog Whisperer, Whale Wars, Deadliest Catch, Intervention, I Survived, Hoarders, Entourage– and I’m open to suggestions.)
And for years, I’ve given my DVR a pass on being wonky. It still feels like new technology working to get the kinks out etc. But the amount of issues my DVR is having is really starting to pile up. Like:
* Sometimes it seems to forget to record something like it’s some kind of stoner.
* Sometimes it’ll just record like two minutes of something and then stop because it’s in a mood.
* Often it will record reruns when I specifically tell it not to.
* It’ll not start recording a new season unless I remind it.
* Sometimes it’ll flag reruns as new and my whole DVR will all of a sudden fill up with some Whale War marathon or some crap.
* The ‘Find Shows’ keypad and interface sucks worse than the Apple Newton.
* When I flip channels there’s like a 1-second pause now while it sorts out where it’s going.
* And worst of all is the dreaded ‘cut-off’ when a show goes long. This is especially bad for shows like Intervention when I just want to see if the person if friggin cleaned up or not!
So here are my suggestions for fixing the DVR situation:
1. Make the Default setting for recording a series– New shows only. 10 minutes over. (I’ll change it if I want something different).
2. I feel like the DVR works based on the show title. Alphabetical style. Like the DVR will look for the words ‘Intervention’ and ‘New’ and decide to record it. They should switch to code based identification. So when an absolutely ‘New’ show comes up. It should be N398478. And that’s the show that gets recorded. Don’t base it on description or time!
3. The ‘Find Shows’ thing should be simplified. I don’t need to see the total listing of every show on TV ever with subcategories. New shows people actually watch should be brought to the forefront first. And then there should be subcategories for ‘Movies’ or ‘Drama’ or whatever.
4. At the home base they should have someone monitoring sports events and stuff and be able to control extending recording a show. A football game goes into overtime and someone at some computer somewhere at Time Warner can monitor stuff to start recording later or whatever.
5. Btw something has gone wrong with the ‘Start Over’ feature. Not sure if you have this but sometimes I get a pop-up window that says ‘Start Over’ click Select. And you can start the show over. Great! But that’s now changed to ‘Enhanced TV’ which brings you to some On Demand bullshit. Something about the Enhanced TV is conflicting with the Start Over feature.
I can go on and on and I wouldn’t say anything if things were simply status quo. But like with all upgrades it seems like things have been gradually getting worse. And slower. Sliding into a state of complication and add-ons and extras. Just like they do with software. I’ve considered making the big switch from Time Warner over to Verizon Vios or whatever but I fear it sucks all over everywhere too and then I’ll be doubly pissed! Just fix this sht!